Curb Appeal on a Budget!
Curb Appeal on a Budget!
Spring is here and it’s time to make sure the exterior of your home is looking its best! Now is a fantastic time to do some curb appeal upgrades before it gets too hot! Check out these great ideas to add some extra appeal to your curb:
- QUICK (ISH) UPDATES– Look at the exterior of your house and see what smaller items could be updated without redoing the whole façade. Something like repainting shutters or doors is a fairly quick and economical project and can totally change the look of the house. If you’re looking for a faster update, how fresh are your house numbers? If they are looking a bit dated, consider getting new ones. The modern house numbers are larger and more graphic than older ones—or you can always add fresh life to existing numbers with paint!
- DAZZLE UP THE DOOR – Since you may already be painting it anyway, check out your door hardware. Is it time for an update? If so, before painting is a great time to change it out. Remove the old hardware, prep and paint the door and then install the new hardware. That way, you won’t have to fret about any unpainted spots where the old hardware used to be–plus you’ll have a modernized entry to enjoy every time you open the door. You use the door and door handle every day, you might as well love it!
- BLOOMS FOR DAYS– Redoing the whole flower bed and taking out existing shrubs can seem a bit too much. If you don’t want to tackle pulling out the old boxwoods altogether, add in some flowering shrubs such as azaleas or camellias to add a new dimension of texture and color. You can also (or instead of) add annual blooms to your beds or a few (less is more here) well-placed planters filled with brightly colored plants for instant wow factor. Flowers will not only bump up your curb appeal, but will lift your mood too! The plants are relatively inexpensive and the personal enjoyment is free with purchase Plus, people will be slowing down to “ooh and ahh” at the Spring show of color—and you will too!
- MAILBOX MAKEOVER –If it’s rusty, full of dents, or just plain ugly, it may be time for a new mailbox. It doesn’t have to cost a fortune, it just needs to be clean and functional.
- CLEANING IS FREE – The best part of this is that it is FREE! Yay! One of the fastest ways to boost your curb appeal is to take the “less is more approach.” Get rid of the sun-bleached, broken or unwanted items in the yard. Take a look at your yard and porch—are there random items that don’t belong? Find new storage locations for the assorted hoses, garden tools and clutter. If its trash, get rid of it. Finish off with a good mowing and sweeping and then have a glass of well-deserved lemonade while enjoying the cleaned up yard!
Giving your curb appeal a boost doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. Whether you make changes big or small, it will make a difference. The best part is you’ll enjoy it every time you pull up or out of your driveway!
Lisa E. Priest loves flowering plants and local Broker/REALTOR® with Picket Fence Realty, Inc. You can reach her via phone or text at 903-948-3343 or read more at BuyPalestine.com.