April Home Maintenance Tips
5 April Maintenance Tips for Your Palestine, TX House
Winter will soon be a distant memory (thank goodness!) and it’s time to get those toes flip-flop ready with a heavenly pedicure! Before you dart off on your awesome summer adventures, be sure you’ve kept up on your Spring maintenance with these quick tips:
- SPRING CLEANING – My apologies that I put this one first on the list. The name alone strikes fear and dread in many, but if you start spring cleaning in little steps, it isn’t too bad! Open up the windows and air out the house while you’re cleaning. It’s amazing how energizing the fresh breeze can be when paired with some 80’s dance music to get you in the cleaning mood! You know how to Spring clean, you just have to make yourself do it (easy for me to say, right?). Be sure to pull out your appliances and sweep and mop underneath them—these are prime places for the dust bunnies to make a nest. One of my top priorities for Spring cleaning is to clean out the pantry and refrigerator—trash all of the old and expired food and organize it so you can get to your goodies quickly.
- POW POW POWER WASH – Inspect your driveway, siding and walkways of your home. If there are any cracks or movement, repair it while it’s a small issue. Once the cracks are repaired, give the area a quick power wash and wash away the depressing grime of winter in one quick step!
- DOUBLE, DOUBLE, COIL AND TROUBLE —The days of running your air conditioning 24/7 are fast approaching. Clean your A/C coils now so you’re ready to chill when the real heat hits. If you have no idea what a coil is, consider calling your favorite HVAC company or check out a “how to” video online. It is not difficult to DIY and also not expensive to have professionally serviced. Cleaning the coils will add years to the life of your unit and keep it running at peak performance.
- SOMETHING FUN – All work and no play makes anyone a grumpy little helper. Take a trip to the garden center and pickup some Spring color! You don’t have to spend a fortune—even a single brightly colored flower planted in a pot by your door will do the trick!
- TERMITES – It’s termite-swarming season, so do a perimeter check to look for any signs of termite activity. While you’re looking, check for other pests too (fire ant hills, wasp nests, bird nests, etc.) If you believe you have termites, they need to be treated as soon as possible. Also keep an eye out for holes leading into your home—the squirrels and critters will setup squatter’s quarters in the attic, if left to their own devices. Don’t let them call your attic home. Squirrels in an attic can chew through electric lines and eat a myriad of materials in the attic—it’s dangerous and can be expensive, so kick them out asap! Call your favorite exterminator for advice on how to rid yourself of these household pests.
Home maintenance isn’t fun (for most people). I get it, believe me. However, keeping up with the “small things” really does help maintain your home’s value, saves money on future repairs and will make you more money when you decide to sell. Maintenance for the win!
Lisa E. Priest is flip flop ready and is an East Texas Area REALTOR® with Picket Fence Realty, Inc. You can reach her via phone or text at 903-948-3343 or email Lisa@rentpalestine.com or online at BuyPalestine.com.