May Home Maintenance Tips
May Home Maintenance Tips for your Palestine, TX House
These May Home Maintenance Tips will make easy work of making sure your home stays fresh and is summer ready! The days of complaining about triple-digit heat are in our not too distant future (if it ever stops raining, that is). Be ready to beat the heat with these quick home maintenance tips:
- PUT IT IN REVERSE—Be sure your ceiling fans are set to the “forward setting,” with the blades spinning counter-clockwise. The summer fan setting distributes the hot air up and more importantly, the air-conditioned air downwards to get the breezy effect you’ll need when the temps hit triple digits. Check your manual or visit the manufacturer’s website if you are having trouble finding the toggle switch on your model of fan.
- “CUTEN UP” THE PORCH—This is the season for visitors and parties, so make sure your porch is welcoming. It doesn’t have to be anything major—a fresh welcome mat, a good sweeping and a pot of pretty blooms should do the trick!
- CRITTER CHECK – The scientific term for squirrels, mice, rats, raccoons, etc. in East Texas is “Varmint” and you don’t want them in your house. Walk around your property and conduct a visual check to see if there are any holes where varmints are coming and going. If there are any holes (and especially if the holes contain a pair of eyes looking back at you), figure out a way to secure the opening. Varmints in the attic can do a lot of damage and can be dangerous if they chew through the wrong wires, plus the little footsteps are just plain creepy.
- WALK IT OFF—This is especially important in light of all the recent storms we have had. Take a quick walk around your house and property to make sure there is not any damage—check for missing or damaged roof shingles, siding and flashing. Since we’ve had so much rain, be sure to pay attention to any potential drainage issues—any areas with pooling water or water seepage need to be addressed asap.
- GARAGE SPIFF—This is not fun by any means, but this is a great time to clean out the garage before the temperatures get too high. The garage is often a dumping ground for items that have no other “home.” Be ruthless—purge all the unneeded items that have a tendency to collect in the garage because “stuff” has a tendency to multiply, especially in summer months.
- GET GRILLED—Grilling season is here! Grilling season is here! I don’t know about you, but I look forward to the first grilling of summer every year. Be prepped and ready by checking the propane tank levels and cleaning the interior and exterior of the grill. There’s nothing worse than having steaks marinated and ready to grill, only to find out you’re out of propane.
Home maintenance isn’t glamorous, but (unfortunately) somebody’s got to do it. Get a jump on it now so you can enjoy the summer sipping drinks and enjoying a perfectly grilled steak on your “cutened up” porch.
Lisa E. Priest is flip-flop ready and is a Palestine, Texas REALTOR® with Picket Fence Realty, Inc. You can reach her via phone or text at 903-948-3343 or read more at BuyPalestine.com.