August House “Honey Do” List
Can you believe it is August already? The dog days of summer are about to end and it will be “back to school” in just a few short weeks. Prep your home for the upcoming fall season with these pre-fall maintenance tips:
- Bring it In—Fall may be coming soon, but it’s still hot. It is a great time to tackle an indoor project that you’ve been putting off. Freshen up some paint, re-caulk the tub or de-clutter your kitchen cabinets. I’m willing to bet you have a “honey-do” just waiting to be done. Avoid the sweltering heat and finish up one of inside projects you’ve been procrastinating on. There is no day like today!
- Bye Bye Sink Stinkers –Clean out the garbage disposal by slicing an orange or a lemon and running it through the disposal. This should kill any funky odors and leave a pleasantly clean scent. Citrus Scent beats a stinky disposal stench any day!
- Change it Out –This is one honey do that I sound like a broken record with, but your A/C system will thank you for it! The best part is you’ll be done in 5 minutes or less! Changing out your air filter in your HVAC system will help your system run more efficiently, save you money and help cut down on pesky airborne allergens.
- Early Morning Spritz–I know I suggested doing an inside project, but this is a great time of year to power wash your house, patios and driveways, if needed. I’d recommend starting early in the morning or in the evening, if possible, just to avoid the prime heat of the day. Every house needs a good bath once or twice a year!
- Ceiling forward—Be sure your ceiling fans are set to the “forward setting,” with the blades spinning counter-clockwise. This distributes the hot air upwards and the cool air downwards to get more cool air on you when it is this hot. This will help to cool you down when even the AC can’t keep up with the heat. Most fans have a toggle switch on the motor housing to alternate the blade direction. Check your manual or visit the manufacturer’s website if you are having trouble finding the toggle switch on your model of fan.
Texas summers are nothing short of brutal—and your house weathers the heat every day! Staying on top of those end of summer and pre-fall “honey-dos” is just as important as any other time of year. Get your to-do list done and make time to have a bit more fun before summer ends!
Lisa E. Priest loves the smell of sunscreen and is a Texas Broker/REALTOR® with Picket Fence Realty, Inc. You can reach her via phone or text at 903-948-3343 or read more at BuyPalestine.com.