Palestine TX December 2015 Events
December Events in Palestine, Texas (and a few in surrounding areas)
I wanted to have a list of all the cool stuff going on in our community this holiday season, so figured I’d share it! Lots of great stuff going on! Have a great holiday season and I hope you get a chance to do a bunch of things on this list! Let me know if I’ve missed anything and I’ll add it!
- November 20th – December 27th: The Polar Express Train Ride at the Texas State Railroad. Read along with the story as the historic steam train makes its magical journy from the Palestine Depot to the North Pole. Meet Santa and enjoy caroling, hot cocoa, a treat and a special gift for each child. Book tickets here.
- November – December 30 – Texas State Railroad Society Musuem at the Carnegie Library – Open Thursday-Sunday (except holidays). History Steams into downtown with the TSRR society. Marvel at model train displays, hands on exhibits, history, artifacts and train memorabila. – 502 N. Queen Street, Palestine
- November & December: Curious: Igniting Imagination—This is a MUST SEE! Open Friday-Sunday. Located in downtown Palestine, Texas at 201 W. Oak St.
- November-December: Dickens Village at Lakeview Methodist Conference Center, The Dickens Christmas Village is one that will amaze you! Oooh and ahh over all 3,000 pieces that together depict what life was like at Christmas time during the Victorian era in London. Monday-Friday: Normal business hours; Saturday: 12:30 – 5:30 pm.
- November 28th-December 23st —Santa on Main : Santa’s Workshop is an indoor Winter Wonderland filled with holiday delights. Take photos with Santa by Lee Loveless Photography. Don’t forget to bring your Christmas wish list for Santa. Saturdays only from Nov. 28th through December 19th and December 21st-23rd from 10am-5pm. 101 W. Oak Street, Palestine.
Driving through one of the light tunnels at the Christmas Land of Lights! (personal photo)
- Beginning November 27th through January 3rd–Christmas Park Land of Lights in Athens. I definitely recommend this one–well worth the drive to see this amazing drive thru display of lights and music! This is one of our yearly traditions. It’s awesome for kids and adults alike!! Open nightly from 6:30-10:30pm. Cost is $25 per car, so bring everyone! More info here.
- December 4th – 6pm-8pm, “Hello Deer” Painting Class at Broken Boutique. Cost is $35 for Medium or $45 for large. Call 903.221.0559 to register. 114 W. Main St in Downtown Palestine.
- December 4th & 5th Christmas at Wyma & Co- Enjoy this holiday pop-up with antiques, vintage collectibles and much more – 418 Coronaca Street, Palestine.418 W. Coronaca St. Across Palestine Avenue from Braly’s Building Supply.
- Dec. 4th-6th- Frost Fest in Downtown Palestine. Enjoy ice skating, snow slide, historic home tours, fruitcake toss, 5k fun run, beard contest, wassail walk and much more! Details here.
- December 5th, 2015– Classic Movies in the Park – Classic Movies in the Park are featured the first Saturday of every month and begins at dusk @ Reagan Park. This month’s feature is: “One Foot in Heaven” a 1941 American biographical film starring Fredric March, Martha Scott and Beulah Bondi. Bring your hot chocolate and your lawn chairs. For more information: 903-723-3014
- December 5th– Dogwood Jamboree: “A PineyWoods Christmas”The Dogwood Jamboree is a Branson-style country music show held at the Palestine Civic Center filled with family fun, laughter and great country music. Doors open at 6 p.m. Advance tickets $12.50/Door $15.00
- December 6th – Freeze Your Buns 5K Run. Join us for the 3nd Annual “Freeze You Buns Run” 5K! This unique race takes participants through historic Downtown Palestine and one of the historic home districts. Awards will be given to the first and second place runners from each age category. Register by November 25, 2015 for $20 (T-shirt included), Late registration is $30, shirt cannot guaranteed. Location: 401 W. Main Street, Palestine, Texas. On-site Registration begins at 7:30am. Race begins at 9am. The race is sponsored by the Palestine Regional Medical Center, Palestine YMCA, and Picket Fence Realty, Inc.
- December 6th –Breakfast with Santa, 8:30 a.m.You’re invited to Breakfast with Santa and his elves. Enjoy a menu of scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes and juice/milk (coffee for adults). You’re invited to breakfast with Santa and his crazy elves. Other activities include making Christmas ornaments, face painting, reindeer alley, games and Santa will be on hand to visit with the children. Breakfast will include Tickets are $10 per person and ages 2 and under are free.Palestine Civic Center, 903-723-2026. Limited seating. Advance tickets are $10 for ages 3-12, $12 for Adults, ages 2 and under are free. Tickets at the door are $12 for ages 3-12 and $15 for adults. Buy Tickets at Palestine City Hall, Civic Center, Visitor’s Center and the Parks & Recs Department at the Mall.
- December 5th— Christmas Parade of Lights and Lighting of the Courthouse, 7 p.m. Beautiful floats will march down the streets of Old Town Palestine and through Downtown as the Christmas Parade of Lights sets sail to the delight of hundreds of residents and visitors. Let the sprit of the season embrace you as the historic Anderson County Courthouse comes alive with illumination at Palestine’s most beloved nightime event. Anderson County Courthouse
- December 6th–Anderson County Community Chorus & Orchestra Christmas Concert, Come celebrate and enjoy the “Sounds of Christmas” Directed by Rhonda Herrington. 2:00pm – Free Admission. Palestine High School Auditorium (1600 S. Loop 256)
- November & December – Grinch’s Lair at the Historic Anderson County Jail- He’s Mean, He’s Green & He’s in Palestine. The Grinch will take you on a tour of his home: His bedroom made of all beds, his kitchen & his bathroom. Characters from the beloved book are staged throughout. Nov 20-22, Nov 27-29; December 4-6, 11-13, 15-23, 26-27. 10am-6pm. $10 per person. 704 Ave A, Palestine. 903-373-8158
- December 10 – 13th, 2015—Texas Theatre Presents “Fruitcakes!” for One Weekend only! Show dates- December 10, 11, 12 & 13. Thursday-Saturday showtime at 7:30p.m. Sunday show at 2p.m. Tickets are Students (ages 4-18) $10 and Adults $15. Buy Tickets here.
- December 12th—Palestine Main Street Wine Swirl from 4-8pm. A unique wine & culinary event for wine lovers. Set against the backdrop of our historic downtown, the Wine Swirl brings together a dozen of regional wineries for one evening to offer a taste of their vintages. Purchase your tickets at the Palestine Visitor Center or Palestine Area Chamber of Commerce. 903-723-3014.
- December 12th-31st- Festival of Trees Presented by the Dogwood Garden Club.Come to view all the Christmas themed trees and get in the spirit of the holidays. Located at the Palestine Mall, 2000 Loop 256.
- December 9th–Veteran Angel Tree program: Please sponsor the Angel tree by buying items on the list and returning it to the library unwrapped. New clothing items needed include flannel pajamas size M-3XL; men’s house shoes size M-XL; sweat pants and sweat shirts sizes M-3XL; blankets, hats, gloves, scarves, socks, gum, and personal care items such as bar soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, lotion, shampoo, and wash towels. Gift wrap and gift bags are also needed. Bring your gifts to the Palestine library during regular business hours. The last day to collect will be Weds December 9th. Thank you for your generosity this Christmas!
Be sure to verify all events before driving out, as hours and dates of operations may change! Enjoy your holidays! Merry Christmas, y’all! –Also, if I missed anything, let me know in the comments and I’ll add it!
Lisa E. Priest is a fan of all things fun in Palestine, TX and local REALTOR® with Picket Fence Realty, Inc. You can reach her via phone or text at 903-948-3343 or email Lisa@rentpalestine.com or at BuyPalestine.com.