October Home Maintenance Tips
October Home Maintenance Tips for your Palestine, TX Home
Tis the season—for pumpkins, witches and goblins! This is a great time to get your house in winter-ready condition before the real cold weather hits. Check out these October home maintenance tips:
- JUST SAY “NO!” TO THE BEEP: Change the batteries in your smoke detectors. This one is easy, so start here and get some momentum going! While you’re at it, go ahead and get some extras for the TV remote too, so you’re ready to snuggle up and watch a good movie on a chilly night.
- VARMINT SWEEP – Yep, I said Varmint! That is the scientific term for squirrels, mice, rats, raccoons, etc. in East Texas! These suspects are considered armed with nuts and hungry for electrical wires and are known to eat just about anything to get into the warmth of a cozy home’s attic. Complete a visual inspection to see if there are any nooks or crannies where the critters are coming and going. If there are any holes (and especially if the holes contain a pair of eyes looking back at you), figure out a way to secure the opening. Also keep an eye out for signs of termites or carpenter ants, while you’re doing your varmint sweep.
- LET’S VENT – Those dang dryer vents…clean them out, because, let’s face it…you haven’t cleaned them since you moved in. It’s a HUGE fire risk and an easy fix. If you did do it last month, then BONUS, you’ve already checked one thing off your to-do list!
- WRAP IT UP – It’s almost time to wrap your pipes. In the meantime, pick up some pipe wraps and faucet covers the next time you’re at the store, so you’re ready to go before the cold comes in. Don’t forget to drain and disconnect the hoses and put them in storage!
- CHIM CHIMNEY, CHIM CHIMNEY, CHIM CHIM CHE-ROO –Creosote buildup is one of the leading causes of house fires. Have your chimney cleaned before you light the first fire of the season. Don’t let a house fire be the first warning that your chimney needs cleaning.
- CHANGE YOU’RE A/C FILTER – This one is an easy one to finish off the list and will help your HVAC system run more efficiently and extend the life of your unit.
If you’ll take a little time to prep your home for the season, you’ll reduce your long term maintenance costs and save yourself some money! Double win! Hope you have a happy and Safe Month and Happy Halloween Y’all!
Lisa E. Priest is a fan of all things October–especially the extra candy and is an East Texas Area REALTOR® with Picket Fence Realty, Inc. You can reach her via phone or text at 903-948-3343 or read more at BuyPalestine.com.